Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘project layout’

In my previous post I mentioned that I’d got an idea for the Derby lightweights corridor connections. Unfortunately that didn’t work out as the mountings were too wide, full story here http://albionyard.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/108-connections/

However what it did do was spur me on to get the soldering iron out and brush up on rusty skills, so it’s not been wasted effort, see below.

Practise results!

I’m now looking at Masokits range to try their connections for double scissors connections as a suitable replacement. From the improvement with the 108 (see link above), I know the effort will be worth it. I’ve also taken a provisional booking for the layout for the Autumn next year, so I’ve still got a little while to sort the DMU’s out!

Read Full Post »

Its been while since I’ve updated Bawdsey’s blog, and thats because nothing much has been going on. Earlier this year I obtained one of the Bachmann Derby lightweight units and that has been sitting waiting for some attention in coupling the units closer. Recently whilst going through the ‘one day that’ll be useful’ pile I found some Slaters scissor corridor connection kits that were originally destined to tart up a Lima 117 unit back in the late 80’s …

Anyway a quick look at them reveals a simple soldered construction which should look far better than the supplied version. The units have been brought closer together using a shortened Bachmann BR Mk1 ‘hose coupling’, so fitting the bellows unit above will massively improve the appearance. It has now been EM’ed swapping out the Branchlines wheeset from my 108, meaning the 108 is now back to OO and that suits another project for Railway Modeller just fine.

The other kit in the image is one of the Craftsman 02 Diesel kits. Its early 80’s vintage in terms of design, but is an excellent starter kit for those who want to try making something. I have changed the drive system on mine to accomodate a ‘High Level’ drive, but have yet to decide OO or EM gauge. The prototype is the sort of thing that could have been used by an industrial line but introduced in 1960 they may be a bit too modern for plausibility, so it’s looking more OO at the moment.

Theres curently no shows for Bawdsey this year, however I have a provisional booking for next year of which more closer to the date. By that time I may have an entirely diesel fleet for the show sequence, all appropriate to the region and era. Steam however isn’t forgotton, with a J15 and J69 kits in the workshop, with a Bachmann Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0 under conversion to EM, which I’ll return to in the future.

http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk/
http://branchlines.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/bachmann-108-wheels.html

Read Full Post »

Bachmann Derby Lightweight

Its been a while since there been a modelling update on here, simply because I’ve been working on other projects and Bawdsey has been placed into storage as there no booked shows for it at the moment. In the next few weeks I’ll be returning to work on some of the new releases which are just arriving in the shops. To date I have one of the Hornby Gresley suburban composites, and am awaiting a couple of others when I’ll work on them together, the biggest change being the conversion to EM gauge. At the end of this month I’m looking forward to the Heljan Waggon und Maschinenbau railbus, these worked in East Anglia and under ‘It’s my train set’ rules I’ll be running one on Bawdsey, though I’ve yet to come across a specific shot of an W&M railbus in the Ipswich area.

However what turned up yesterday was one of the latest releases from Bachmann, the Derby Lightweight DMU suitable for east anglian branchline use. Overall I’m very pleased with the look and finish of the unit. Conversion to EM gauge looks simple enough and I’ll swap the wheel set from the Class 108 DMU currently in use. These are the Branchlines conversion set and are well engineered easy to use and hence well worth the money, the 108 will then be redeployed in OO to work on my current project layout ‘East Dursley’.

There are one or two quick fixes that I’ll make in addition to the EM conversion, the first being to disguise the circuit board visible in the vestibule area. Bawdsey is displayed at normal viewing height so it can be seen relatively easily.

The second change is to look at the way the units are coupled. Both the 105 and 108 units have sprung buffers, this has made it easy to run the DMU’s close coupled and with the corridor connections touching. With the DLW the buffers are fixed so theres no easy way to run the unit close coupled, whilst a litle dissapointing, its not the end of the world. What I will be doing is looking at what after market buffer heads there are available and suitable corridor connections. The outer parts of the buffer stocks are I have already discovered, plastic. This may make it easier to fix sprung buffers, but I won’t know for definite until I get them apart. Overall though its another really good addition for my stock to give an accurate representation of an east anglian branchline in the transition era.

http://branchlines.blogspot.com/2007/01/bachmann-108-wheels.html

Read Full Post »